1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Stir flour, sugar, oats and coconut into a bowl and mix well.
2. Melt butter, golden syrup and 2 tablespoons of cold water and stir for a couple of minutes until combined.
3. Lower the heat and stir in bicarb soda. It will froth so continue stirring.
4. Mix the golden syrup mixture into the dry ingredients and set aside until ready to use.
5. In a separate frypan, combine brown sugar, apples, finely grated ginger, vanilla and cinnamon quills plus 1/4 cup water. Cook until apples are soft and cooked through. This will take approximately 10-12 minutes. If the mix becomes dry, add a few tablespoons of water until apples are cooked and no liquid remains.
6. Place apple mixture into a dry bowl and mix in the walnuts and dried cranberries.
7. Place this mixture into a greased pie dish approximately 22-25cm.
8. Using your fingers, crumble the Anzac Biscuit mix over the apple mixture to completely cover the dish.
9. Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Dust with icing sugar and serve with hot custard, vanilla ice-cream or thickened
Recipe & Photography by Yvonne Baldan, Sutherland Shire Cooking School.
© All Rights Reserved Sutherland Shire Cooking School 2016