For the doughnuts –
1. Preheat oven to 170°C (150°C fan forced). Heat the milk gently until it is lukewarm.
2. Melt the butter, add 75g of caster sugar and eggs to the tepid milk. Whisk well.
3. Add in the yeast and whisk vigorously until combined with no lumps.
4. In a separate large bowl, place the flour in the bowl with a hole in the middle. Slowly add in the milk mixture, whisk to combine until you have a smooth, light batter.
5. Cover with cling film and leave in a warm spot for 45 minutes – 1 hour to prove.
6. Once proved, mix the dough well with a spatula.
7. Heat the vegetable oil to 165-170°C on the stove in a deep saucepan.
8. Add in spoonfuls of the batter to the hot oil and cook for approximately 4 minutes until the doughnuts are fully cooked inside. Cut open the doughnuts to see if they are fully cooked. Once cooked, remove doughnuts immediatly from the hot oil and set aside.
9. Place two cups of caster sugar and lemon zest in a small deep dish and mix together. Coat the doughnuts in the mix and set aside.
10. Poke a hole in each doughnut and pipe with lemon custard filling. Enjoy with clotted cream, thickened whipped cream or on their own.
Lemon Custard –
1. Combine milk, vanilla bean and lemon zest in a pot and bring to boil. Remove from heat.
2. In a separate bowl, combine egg yolks, corn flour and caster sugar. Whisk until pale.
3. Using a sieve, pour half of the milk mixture through the sieve into the egg mixture. Whisk until sugar is dissolved.
4. Pour combined egg mixture into a clean pot and bring to the boil, continually whisking until bubbles appear and mixture thickens (boiling). Whisking must be vigorous on low/medium heat.
5. Remove from heat and add in the butter. Mix to combine and cool immediately.
6. Whip thickened cream and fold through the custard mixture to make filling light and creamy.
7. Pipe into the doughnuts.
Note: For a quick easy filling you can use strawberry jam instead of the custard.
Recipe & Photography by Yvonne Baldan, Sutherland Shire Cooking School.
© All Rights Reserved Sutherland Shire Cooking School 2016